Now That I Mention It

Monday, October 27, 2008

Home is Where the Mountains Are

Numerous times, as we have been returning from trips, I have told the kids, "when you see the mountains, we are almost home." With that first glance of Mt. Scott in the distance, I instantly relax as I realize home is just a few miles away.

As mountains go, the Wichitas are probably hills by most people's standards, but they are a treasure trove of memories for those who grew up near them. We remember campouts and cookouts, boating on the lake, hiking over rocks, wading in creeks, and jumping into 40 foot hole. They were a place of solitude for minds that needed time to think, and, of course, an ideal place for couples to share some alone time.

Honestly, I still find myself amazed by the view when I stand on top of that mountain. Being able to see for miles, out over the plains and the blue lake, is an awe-inspiring experience. The refuge also affords us a chance to see the prairie just as our ancestors did, virtually untouched by man, with buffalo, longhorn, prairie dogs and other wildlife roaming free. It's an opportunity that is rarely found in an age where it seems every square inch of land is taken up by new houses and shopping areas.

My children love the mountains. They enjoy hiking and a trip to the top of Mt. Scott just as we all did when we were young, and, hopefully, new memories are being made for them with every outing.

So, as we make our way to our destination, and the small mountain range grows closer, I remember that home is not too far away, and I will soon be in the place I grew up, the place I still call home, and the place where I will always be comfortable in my own skin.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Meet Singles Online
Meet Singles Online