Now That I Mention It

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Deja Vu

I experienced this yesterday morning as I was driving the children to school. It was so bizarre that for a millisecond I thought I had gone back in time.

I was driving down Meadowbrook (for those of you who know Lawton) and the 80's channel on satellite radio started blaring Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name". Suddenly I was transported to a moment in 1986 when I was at the exact same spot on the exact same street on my way to a Halloween dance. I was dressed all in black with my hair slicked into a bun so I would look like one of the girls in the Robert Palmer videos. As I was driving along and painting my nails blood red, I was singing along to Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name".

So, was it deja vu or a bad 80's flashback? Once I returned to the 21st century I wondered a few things. One, why was I listening to the 80's channel in the first place? Two, what in the world made me think I should dress up like a girl in a Robert Palmer video? I was totally sober when I made that decision.

I had a brief longing for the 80's. Why? It was a simpler time, at least it was if you were a teen. Still, there was so much we didn't know then that we do now and I wish I could still be that clueless. I would prefer not to know that love will only break your heart, that sex isn't the be-all-end-all that we thought it was at 17 and that you can give peace all the chances you want, but it's never going to happen.

I don't think I could go back to the neon colored clothes, acid-washed jeans and big hair, but it wouldn't be so bad to be young and innocent again, just for a little while.

3 Comments:

  • More to the point . . . you could be okay in your mind with painting your nails while driving! :)

    What a great moment though -- I love when that happens. For me, music and driving are inextricably tied and I've been transported back in time in that way before too.

    Very cool.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Friday, October 27, 2006  

  • Seriously! I was seventeen, what bad could possibly happen to a seventeen year old driving a sports car and painting her nails??? *grin*

    By Blogger Becky/Skein Gang, at Friday, October 27, 2006  

  • You do well in telling stories. I've had a look at the pieces you are publishing. I would like to invite you to visit and consider contributing to our writing consortium. It is not only an opportunity to be published, it is a unique writing challenging in that you are required to collaborate. I will look for word from you.

    By Blogger Mistress Regina, at Monday, October 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Meet Singles Online
Meet Singles Online