Now That I Mention It

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Goodbyes

I was never much good at goodbye
- Night Ranger


Goodbyes are just another of life's lousy moments. I suppose there are times that you want someone out of your life when goodbye isn't such a bad thing. If you have to say goodbye to someone you love it is a whole different story.

My family is a small one. There was my grandmother, my mother, my aunt, her two daughters and my father. We have always been close and the loss of my grandmother and my aunt has brought the remaining family closer. We tend not to migrate. For those who have left and lived other places for awhile always return home.

Almost 24 years ago my older cousin was pregnant with her first child. Our family loves babies, so we were all overjoyed. We waited anxiously to see this new person. I can remember when my cousin went past her due date and I went to the school office every day at lunch time to call and check on her.

Lauren was finally born on Labor Day 1982. A rather fitting date for her entry into the world since getting her here had been a little difficult. Of course, we were all enchanted by this little creature. Babies are such amazing little beings. I loved holding her, rocking her and talking to her.

As she got older I cared for her frequently just as her mom had cared for me when I was young. She would go with me to run errands and I often stayed with her and her baby brother when their parents were out of town. Our lives became intertwined in that amazing mesh that is love and family.

We weren't quite as close as she grew older, but when my own children were born she was there and as she got older she became someone who would take care of them and love them.

Today she packed up her car and left to live on the other side of the US. She has grown into a remarkable young woman. She is smart and funny and she has an incredibly bright future ahead of her. I tried not to cry, but it was hard when I remembered her as a mischievous three year old who always had hugs to spare.

In time she will marry and have her own children and the circle of life will go on. I try to look at it not as if we are saying "goodbye", but simply as if we are saying "until you are home again".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Meet Singles Online
Meet Singles Online